10 Years of Axtone: Looking Back On A Decade Of Music

Releases, remixes, unreleased music & projects.
Vinelli
I worship Axwell
https://soundcloud.com/axwell-forum-radio

Post by Vinelli » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:30 am

AXT014 Teenage Crime

So this is quite the special release for me. I have so many memories with the original, it has become one of my all time favorite Axtone tracks ever (top 3 defintely!). It's Adrian Lux debut for the label, and sadly his only appearance so far. But there are talks of a return! So let's hope that's true.

Lux his awesome approach to Progressive and Indie just caught me right away. Songs like Strawberry, Can't Sleep and of course Teenage Crime are songs I gladly like to return to. I absolutely played his Vanity Fair mixtape series to death!! That blend between guitar and synths in those mixtapes, was completely new to me, and just enhanced my musical taste with a thousandfold as I was searching for bands who did the same after this.

But besides mister Lux, there is another person who made Teenage Crime to what it is: Linnéa Martinsson or better known as Lune. Her vocals are just...one of the best and unique that I've ever come across. Her stuff was quite rare and hard to get, untill Refune re-released her album for the european market and I was able to grab it from iTunes. I completely loved it as well. Adrian and her made some more songs together and the synergy between the two is just so good.

Axwell had to step in with material like this to work with, and so he did. He ended up releasing not one, but two remixes. One of them is this Remode together with Henrik B. I have absolutely no idea how this remix came to be, as there is zero information to be found. My best guess is that Henrik B was commissioned to do a mix. Axwell apparently liked it so much, that he wanted to tweak it to perfection (like he did with Daddy's Groove their remix for Walk With Me). Eventually, he ended up doing so much to it that it became a full blown collaboration. Well, however it came to be, the result is spectacular and my favorite of the two released remixes. The energy that the original lacked, no matter how good it is, is brought to the table here. The piano break/bridge is just marvelous. Huge.

I would love to hear Henrik B's original remix though, if there even is one. I feel that the guy is a little under appreciated as there is almost zero recognition for the man in the original thread! No matter how good we think Axwell is, I believe that Henrik might have done more than a lot of people think!

Well anyways, so besides that great remode with Henrik, Axwell made a solo remix as well. He probably wanted something that sounded bigger and more club friendly, and you can hear that he boosted the original to 200 %, using a lot of original parts (guitar, synths, ect ect) but upgraded them to fit bigroom events. Well, that definitely worked out quite well, although there is a little additional AXFACT info to be shared here.

:idea: There is an earlier DEMO of this Axwell solo remix, debuted at Sensation White at Copenhagen, sounds quite different from what Axwell eventually went with. As the myspace previews (yes myspace :lol: ) went up, a lot of members instantly saw the huge difference. The ancient ID-rule goes: first version > anything after and so some people were "upset" a little. Turned out Axwell wasn't satisfied himself.

But well, nothing to do about it. Just support Axwell as always, the fans must have thought. Well that turned out to be the right thing to do, because after both remixes of teenage crime ended in the beatport top 10, Axwell was quite grateful. http://axwell.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2378

So he released the original first version remix for free!!! A huge move by the man! Although I myself made an account back in 2009, I wasn't really active untill 2011ish, so I completely missed all of this. But listening now I think this is indeed the best remix of the package. It sounds just really smooth and clean. Simply a delight to listen to, maybe because it's closer to the original and therefor less club heavy. I can totally see Axwell's motivation to tweak it into something bigger, but never the less from a musical lover's standpoint, this is definitely the winner!

Anyways, Axwell or not, I think Adrian and Lune brought a lot of magic to the Axtone history with just one song. I really hope that the two of them really do have something in store for Axtone again and it's not just a rumor.

The world is ready for part two! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Vinelli on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vinelli
I worship Axwell

Post by Vinelli » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:24 pm

So I have one more little AXFACT to share about this track. It's actually something I discovered yesterday, when I was listening to all the versions for the write-up above.

So yes, I'm a big fan of this release and besides having the Vinyl, I happen to have the Promo Single as well.

The promo cd is a picture disc, which was a nice surprise but the real magic is the radio edit that's on it. The outro (2:22 and onwards) features the acoustic parts from Lune, of which this track probably originated from. So it's not weird to think this started of as a song that Adrian wanted to danceify with a remix, and eventually ending up making a indie-dance song with Lune all together. Axtone has it on their channel too:

The original acoustic version might be floating around somewhere, but I don't think we will ever find it!

Thought you might like this little piece of extra info though :D
Seveli13
I worship Axwell

Post by Seveli13 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Vinelli wrote:So I have one more little AXFACT to share about this track. It's actually something I discovered yesterday, when I was listening to all the versions for the write-up above.

So yes, I'm a big fan of this release and besides having the Vinyl, I happen to have the Promo Single as well.

The promo cd is a picture disc, which was a nice surprise but the real magic is the radio edit that's on it. The outro (2:22 and onwards) features the acoustic parts from Lune, of which this track probably originated from. So it's not weird to think this started of as a song that Adrian wanted to danceify with a remix, and eventually ending up making a indie-dance song with Lune all together. Axtone has it on their channel too:

The original acoustic version might be floating around somewhere, but I don't think we will ever find it!

Thought you might like this little piece of extra info though :D
That's great man...great job :)
Definitely one of my favorite releases on Axtone, if not the favorite when it comes to big package releases :)
And every track from this release is golden...i don't know any other release in which all tracks are so equally good...there's something for everybody...my personal favorite is the ReMode, but it's just so damn close when the whole package rocks... :)
Halcyon
I worship Axwell

Post by Halcyon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Too bad he didn't do the "give it for free" thing for the other ones, as Been A Long Time, and Nothing But Love (spoiler).

Copenhagen mix for me is the best, Remode of course is powerful and great.
DCBull
I worship Axwell

Post by DCBull » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:17 pm

The video version features the same outro
https://youtu.be/OcQFUWWLY54?t=2m30s

and this is probably the closest we can get:
https://vimeo.com/26834735
Seveli13
I worship Axwell

Post by Seveli13 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:55 pm

DCBull wrote: and this is probably the closest we can get:
https://vimeo.com/26834735
This is awesome... :)
Didas
I worship Axwell

Post by Didas » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:15 pm

COPENHAGEN MIX is professor sh*T !

btw awesome review vinelli. great release, amazing release. great comeback to those golden days of axtone.

I forgot to write about 'Walk With Me'.... so fuck*** underrated this one. How did this track didnt had in that year the recognition it was today? top 10 all time fav house tracks for me.
"When I'm making music I try to create something that is different... something that makes my ears happy.."
Vinelli
I worship Axwell

Post by Vinelli » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Didas wrote:COPENHAGEN MIX is professor sh*T !

btw awesome review vinelli. great release, amazing release. great comeback to those golden days of axtone.

I forgot to write about 'Walk With Me'.... so fuck*** underrated this one. How did this track didnt had in that year the recognition it was today? top 10 all time fav house tracks for me.

And yes, walk with me was a superb release, but I read back into the original thread and apparently the release got almost zero promotion (at least according to the members back then). It suddenly appeared on beatport for a lot of non-axtone fans who didn't follow the rips and the MOS compilation by ax.

But especially the original is underrated. Imagine it being released today, instant classic!
Shaoe
I worship Axwell

Post by Shaoe » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 pm

I don't think there's another package like Teen Age Crime, the original is brilliant, the remixes are brilliant and then we did get the Copenhagen mix for free, what else could we ask for?

Also Thomas Gold did a rework on this track, which was released in 2012 as part of Axtone Present Thomas Gold

Also i wanted to say this a long time ago, this thread is amazing! So much rediscovering, i mean there are a bunch of amazing underrated mixes i didn't even notice only yet, because one mix was too dominant :D Like the Daddys Groove mix of Walk With Me, actually its my new favorite of the package.
Keep it up Vinelli!!
Moving on the inside...
Screaming on the outside...
Didas
I worship Axwell

Post by Didas » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:04 pm

I vote this thread for 'sticky'

all time favorite for any Ax/Axtone fan to know about this label or some of Ax.
"When I'm making music I try to create something that is different... something that makes my ears happy.."