10 Years of Axtone: Looking Back On A Decade Of Music

Releases, remixes, unreleased music & projects.
Halcyon
I worship Axwell

Post Halcyon09 May 2015, 16:53

Latest post of the previous page:

Maybe off-topic, though the picture above has the same issue, but what about this thing we did some years ago when the team from Axwell staff wanted the fans to ask all the questions we wanted, so that one day Axwell would answer it ?

Did anyone get any answer to that ?

Mine was about the release date of the album.
Yeah, sometimes I feel so deserted #ChemicalBrothers.
Didas
I worship Axwell

Post Didas09 May 2015, 20:40

Halcyon wrote:Maybe off-topic, though the picture above has the same issue, but what about this thing we did some years ago when the team from Axwell staff wanted the fans to ask all the questions we wanted, so that one day Axwell would answer it ?

Did anyone get any answer to that ?

Mine was about the release date of the album.
Yeah, sometimes I feel so deserted #ChemicalBrothers.
NO, sadly...
"When I'm making music I try to create something that is different... something that makes my ears happy.."
Vinelli
I worship Axwell
Send private message https://soundcloud.com/axwell-forum-radio

Post Vinelli10 May 2015, 16:42

AXT016 Matt Caseli & Danny Freakazoid - Sign Your Name (Across My Heart)

So after that massive axwell single, axtone continues to grow in discograhpy by releasing another standalone release. Matt Caseli, at the time a resident for Pacha Ibiza and Danny freakazoid join the label with this very progressive record, which features a sample from an 80's hit from Terence Trent D’arby’, which I will post below the post :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfG5s5nBgyY

So this is the original record. I believe that this was debuted during WMC 2010 by Axwell, and the demo version in Pacha Buzios in Rio De Janeiro somewhat earlier. The press info revealed that it apparently was a very popular record for the house mafia. As I said, it featured a sample from Trend D'Arby, but I'm not sure if they simple produced a cover or the actual samples. If not, it sounds really really close though. What I really like about the record, is the bridge, which is almost directly taken from the original song. It's a nice tempo change that really makes the song imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADPDV-fN-0

There are a lot of alternative versions for this on the web now, but originally this was the only remix to be included in the package on Axtone. Sebastian Krieg & Roman F. focus their attention on the melodic part of the original and try to give a little more piano status to it. It's still pretty similar to it's origin's, but that tiny bit bigger. Very memorable piano line, awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RY5Qne--Yw
Last edited by Vinelli on 10 May 2015, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Vinelli
I worship Axwell

Post Vinelli10 May 2015, 16:57

So as for the AXFACTS, we are just in time it seems as Caseli has been sharing a previously unheard version of the record today!

But first, let's look at the track's origins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dluHzQhLcME

Recorded in 1987 and released in 1988, this record became a huge hit back in the day. Sananda Francesco Maitreya, better known as Terence Trent D 'Arby is an american songwriter, with a little bit of a megalomania problem as he thought of his album to be the biggest thing since the Beatles. A weird thing to claim, but it has to be said that the man had a shitload of big hits if I can believe wikipedia.

Anyways, it was on this album called "Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby' , that 'Sign Your Name' was debuted. It got a little rework for the european market before being released as a single, together with a B-side called 'Greasy Chicken' :lol: (now if that isn't a massive fact to acquire, I don't what is). This was the original album art:

So Caseli and Freakazoid used part of the song, or covered it, to fit the progressive club culture at the time. Like I was talking about in the beginning of this post, Caseli surprised me by sharing the demo version for this record today, the day I wanted to do this release for this thread. A very nice bonus indeed! So this is the record as Axwell/Axtone received it:

You can definitely hear it got some additional editing before getting released, especially in the break. Talking about editing, Axwell apparently made a personal edit of the record to fit his sets even better. It's hard to hear any differences with this one, but I think the main change is in the arrangement. Anyways, it's always nice to have multiple version to compare.

So after this original release, NEON rereleased it with multiple remixes that we will go through next :mrgreen:
Seveli13
I worship Axwell

Post Seveli1310 May 2015, 17:59

Awesome release...i listen Sebastian Krieg & Roman F. Remix quite often actually, it's still super good for me..and weirdly enough, i heard that remix firstly on the radio...it was going strong on this one radio station at the time...that was super nice... ;)
Halcyon
I worship Axwell

Post Halcyon10 May 2015, 19:34

I prefer for once the original Terence Trent d'Arby track.
I think it's from here I followed Axtone less.
Shaoe
I worship Axwell

Post Shaoe10 May 2015, 20:52

For some reason i always felt this one is unappreciated/overlooked. Maybe it is because i "discovered" the record way after it was released (and i feel ashamed for overlooking this gem), but since then it grew close to my heart (or i could tell, it signed its name across my heart :D)

Also this is one of my favorite artworks, i just love the simplicity and of course the classic color scheme.
Moving on the inside...
Screaming on the outside...
Vinelli
I worship Axwell

Post Vinelli10 May 2015, 21:09

I say all pre-2012 axtone releases that don't have an axwell stamp on it are hugely underappreciated. This forum seemed to be literary an axwell forum back then. The sign your name thread has 5 pages, with one page coming from post release replies years later!
Last edited by Vinelli on 10 May 2015, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
House5
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: Denon DN-MC6000
VirtualDJ Pro

Post House510 May 2015, 22:18

And to me it was not for the better, I enjoy the forum a lot as it is now : being open-minded enough to talk about releases that don't have Axwell stamp on it ! Not saying they were not open-minded before

About the track, I don't have a lot to say about it actually, I like the vibe in it but I don't have any particular story about it. I would play it in a club somehow for sure !
"You showed us, and the world, that Paris is much more than the Eiffel Tower and Mona Lisa..."
Axwell, Bercy @ Paris, Saturday, December the 8th 2012.

Luigi vs. House5...
Halcyon
I worship Axwell

Post Halcyon10 May 2015, 22:51

House5 wrote:I enjoy the forum a lot as it is now : being open-minded enough to talk about releases that don't have Axwell stamp on it ! Not saying they were not open-minded before
Yeah, I speak not only for myself, be many members here never prevent themselves to be honest about an Axwell track, good or bad.
Same thing for Axtone releases. Best example is the next one. it's gonna be tough mouhahaha.
House5
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: Denon DN-MC6000
VirtualDJ Pro

Post House511 May 2015, 16:51

AXFACT

I got to speak to Matt Caseli about Sign Your Name and he was ok to let me post the FB conversation I had with him here !

ImageImage Image Image

He will do it again for Raise Your Hands, thanks a lot to him again for looking back on this track !
"You showed us, and the world, that Paris is much more than the Eiffel Tower and Mona Lisa..."
Axwell, Bercy @ Paris, Saturday, December the 8th 2012.

Luigi vs. House5...