10 Years of Axtone: Looking Back On A Decade Of Music

Releases, remixes, unreleased music & projects.
Vinelli
I worship Axwell
https://soundcloud.com/axwell-forum-radio

Post by Vinelli » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:46 pm

AXT035 Center Of The Universe (Remode)

I've been looking to this look back for quite some time. This is by far, one of the most memorable moments in Axtone's history that I can recall. Nothing but pure nostalgia, warm fuzzy feelings and ,of course, love for one of mr. Hedfors his finest moments under Axwell.

Center Of The Universe...where to begin? I guess at the beginning! It's 2009, december. It's freezing in Stockholm, but in Australia the summersun is baking the lands down under without mercy. Axwell happens to be there, doing a huge tour with this crazy big LED heart. One of the tour stops is Stereosonic, one of the biggest dance events (if not THE biggest) on the continent. After having played nothing other than, what we would label, as an unbelievable set of (now) ultra classics (http://www.1001tracklists.com/tracklist ... l#tr_17013), Axwell suddenly grabs hold of the mic...

Something new??? What could it be? Well, it's the very early original version of what came to be one of the most desired tracks in Axtone history: Center Of The Universe, featuring Magnus Carlson. The song was soaked in everything fans loved about Axwell, and inmediately the anticipation rose to record heights. But after the Stereosonic video, days, weeks & months flew by without even a HINT of the track...Untill this article:

https://jadorehousemusic.wordpress.com/ ... ka-axwell/

"Axwell currently sits in the studio in Stockholm and work on the final details for his own debut album. The first single is called “Center of the Universe” and instead of calling his superstars to friends – Axwell chose to contact Magnus Carlson, the lead singer of Weeping Willows as a vocalist. "

#AXFACT: That's right. Center Of Universe was supposed to lead the Axwell album.

Coincidentally, a few days later it was played once more during WMC 2010 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMq_SDAIhfU)

We can all have a guess what must have happened in 2010. A change of heart? The intervention of a certain Mafia? Whatever the reason was, the simple fact remains that the album never came. Nothing But Love, rebranded as the new lead single at the time, was a constant reminder of how all of this great material would never see the light of day...untill

Axwell, after all these years, finished the original version!!! This was fresh off the big SHM breakup, and Axwell choose to return solo in legendary fashion! It was Carlsberg that partnered with Ax for a series of big solo gigs in Sweden. A fellow attentive member spotted the commercial on Swedish television, as shown above, and we all couldn't believe the song it was playing. COTU, on the verge of becoming reality! To fuel the flame, Jens released what must be one of the best artworks Axtone ever had and ever will have:

Carlsberg continued the teasing with an interactive video, which previewed huge parts of the much anticipated song. It was all coming together, but then there came the ultimate twist: The Remode

Suddenly, it was announced: The preview of an Axwell Remode. I will forever remember the vibe of the warm and summery european night of May 10th. Tong announced the remode...and yes, Axwell delivered. O, how Ax delivered!! Suddeny Jaguar vibes just filling the scene out of nowhere...this Remode did what every remode did before: shock and conquer.

After the dust had settled, the following things happened: The original got released on Ultra along with some...not so ultra fine remixes of which the contents I have buried deep deep below in my consciousness after listening to them. However...the Remode, the mightiest of all versions, found it's way to it's proper home May 30th: Axtone.

I must say, after typing this lookback I stand even more by the thing I opened with: This release is without a doubt one of the most memorable Axtone moments I've been lucky enough to enjoy. Center Of The Universe is Axwell and Axtone at their very finest, and looking back to these days is something I do with absolute pleasure, as I did just now. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Vinelli on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
Vinelli
I worship Axwell
https://soundcloud.com/axwell-forum-radio

Post by Vinelli » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:46 pm

There is a lot to be said about this milestone-release and I want you guys to share it all! Not necessarily pure information, but your feelings and memories are more than welcome!

Below is a little addendum of extra information that I couldn't fit in the lookback above. Some really interesting facts, some of them I never knew myself untill today!

So, let's start with the interview with J'adore House Music (https://jadorehousemusic.wordpress.com/ ... ka-axwell/). The blog post revealed quite some interesting stuff that is easily overlooked, given that the piece is hidden quite well nowadays.

We know that the core of the song is about family, from Axwell's perspective. But the in general, the lyrics have a different intend:

“I knew about Axwell, that he and the Swedish House Mafia is big international, but for me that music were more Ibiza and Stureplan. Meanwhile, I had a favorite track with Axwell, which I liked a long time, “Together” I’ve listened to a lot at home” says Magnus Carlsson.

During the day, Nöjesbladet was in the studio when they recorded Magnus lyrics and the song were named “Center of the Universe“.

-“It’s about that feeling when you and your girlfriend, or best friend, has been partying all night and standing there on the beach and see the sun rise. When you know that right here and now it’s just the two of you who are in the “Center of the Universe”.

There is a 2010 documentary that featured the song heavily, as it was shot during the days Magnus his vocals got recorded in a studio somewhere.

Where Is The Party At launched a series of videos alongside their many many teasers and the interactive video. The interactive video eventually became the official video:

Axtone made a mini doc about Axwell's love with Stockholm, in light of the COTU release. #AXFACT (inside a post filed with #AXFACTS ): Part of axwell's answer was used for something to make our ears happy: the AFP intro we have today :mrgreen: !

And finally, some fun artwork info! The Remode got it's well deserved spot on one of the Axtone 10 years vinyls, but unfortunately never got it's own release on wax. The Axtone vinyls are fantastic on their own, but extra fun as they add the backcover of the original front art. However, COTU did got a CD promo! A cd promo you can find online still, and I happen to own. Thanks to this, quite nicely put together single, we still get to see the quite beautiful alternative artwork:

Axachusetts
True fan
DJ Gear: Whatever a Wakandaman would use

Post by Axachusetts » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:55 pm

I'd say this is my favorite release at least since 2012 on the label. From intro to outro, this Remode is just an incredible, genre-crossing track. It was also the perfect intro for Ax's 2013 Tomorrowland set.

I will never forget when the forum exploded as the Remode was premiered by Tong on Radio 1. What an insane moment in the history of this label! And to our knowledge it's the last known time Ax visited us online :P

Lots of good AxFacts on this one!
Rozay
Axwell lover

Post by Rozay » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Oh man when I listened to that remode rip after the pete tong premiere.. instant goosebumps! Rarely has a song given me so much joy as the remode of COTU, one of axwells best released work, only wished he kept the same route after the shm split
Didas
I worship Axwell

Post by Didas » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:10 pm

THE TRACK THAT GOT US REALLY BACK TO AXWELL!!!

Everyone was beggin him to bring it back. Even I rip the track for the forum, etc

after this one I stopped that thing hahah 8-)

what an ending...

I remember the forum break the record of ppl logged at the same time, the chat was on fireeeee. everyone going nuts to listen to that preview....

The 1st live preview of this new version was from his gig at Toulouse, INOX 2013.

"C'est AXWELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL" I heard this rip/set SO MANY FUCKING TIMES

he always wanted to have his 'jaguar' track. so he remarkable did it.

Dont forget this track, Axwell started to make it in 2005.... so ALMOST 10 years to put it perfect.

from time to time I still listen in full the remode version... and ofc its in my restrict top 10 tracks from Axtone/Axwell, and when that happens I think you already know what kind of the track is this... I just dont need to praise Ax again. Its a track of a life for sure.

ps: AWESOME POSTS VINELLI, TY FOR THAT
Last edited by Didas on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When I'm making music I try to create something that is different... something that makes my ears happy.."
jz1
Administrator
https://www.axwellforum.com axwellforum axwellforum
DJ Gear: Spotify

Post by jz1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:15 pm

That moment when somebody on the chat said he saw Cotu tease on tv and we couldn't believe until he recorded the commercial with his phone.

That moment when Cotu remode got premiered on the radio and that piano break suddenly came in!
More Life
Hardsoul
Administrator
axwellforum axwellforum

Post by Hardsoul » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:32 pm

jz1 wrote:That moment when somebody on the chat said he saw Cotu tease on tv and we couldn't believe until he recorded the commercial with his phone.

That moment when Cotu remode got premiered on the radio and that piano break suddenly came in!
That moment when COTU remode was premiered on BBC and Axwell suddenly came in to chat with us before his gig at INOX and one believed it was him, until Ax confirmed it on Twitter
Turn off your brain and turn on your heart!
jz1
Administrator
https://www.axwellforum.com axwellforum axwellforum
DJ Gear: Spotify

Post by jz1 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Hardsoul wrote:
jz1 wrote:That moment when somebody on the chat said he saw Cotu tease on tv and we couldn't believe until he recorded the commercial with his phone.

That moment when COTU remode was premiered on BBC and Axwell suddenly came in to chat with us before his gig at INOX and one believed it was him, until Ax confirmed it on Twitter
That moment when changazzz wasn't the first person in the universe to hear the track.
More Life
Seveli13
I worship Axwell

Post by Seveli13 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Great post Vinelli, i salute u sir !
What more can be said after that...this track really made me believe that Axwell is fully back in the gorgeous summer of 2013, and with tracks like Aphrodite, Starlight, Reverie, CLMD Remix of Discopolis...he started playing tracks like Mark Knight & Sander van Doorn - Ten, Filtre (Chocolate Puma Remix), Achtung with Sunrise mashup, he made Rock U Rock U Edit, Greyhound and Goodbye Fly Edit, that Jay Lumen vs. Goodwill & Hook N Sling Edit...he started finishing his Tokyo By Night Remix that summer, Feel The Pressure Remix as well, started testing Arms Around Me as well...so many awesome tracks that u just had to believe Axwell is finally coming back...so u can say in a way that COTU Remode made way for a lot of great stuff that summer !!! Such memories 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcuAvwOKreY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UPsZm6nKnU
What a VIBEEEEEE in this videos !!! :)
camheine
I worship Axwell

Post by camheine » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Wow, in that J'adore Article it says Ax was supposed to remix Taio Cruz for a song that eventually went number one, meaning it was this:

I wonder what Ax would've done with it? In a weird way I could kinda hear Ax doing something cool with it (I'm guessing he would've kept the vocal to a minimum haha)
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."