Most overrated DJ's?

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
C-Jay
Axwell fan

Post by C-Jay » Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 pm

First of all, hello people, i'm new here.

Well, I'm from Portugal and here I can say that the most overrated Dj is the portuguese Pete Tha Zouk LOL.

On topic: Dj Tiesto is the most overrated. He has good songs, but I don't like him. David Guetta is a little bit overrated, IMO.

Petter
Administrator
DJ Gear: 3x CDJ-1000
1x DJM-800
1x MacBook Pro

Post by Petter » Tue May 27, 2008 9:36 pm

daherbst wrote:I think Tiesto deserves the fame since he made electronic music far more popluar... technically his sets aren't that great - but I think that's a littel bit due to the music itself...
Yes, that's correct. Even though i really don't like Tiesto's trance, but I must admit that I saw Tiesto live last year, and the feeling of the powerful string chords in "Adagio For Strings" was amazing! Definatly goosebumps feeling. Yes, he deserves the credits for making electronic music way more popuar.
daherbst wrote:Most of the guys will hate me now:

- I think Deedmau is a little bit overrated... there are indeed some really good tracks - but for me too much tracks with the same style...
I hope that I won't get slaughtered now aswell, but I must say I partly agree with you. Deadmau5 has made some killer tracks, but I feel like it's more like quantity before quality when he produce. He makes a ton of tracks/remixes, but I only like a couple of them.

When it comes to Guetta & Garraud:
Both of them are really popular (atleast in europe). In one way it's positive that guetta produce a little bit too much commercialized music, because that makes more people listen to house music.
Like tiesto, guetta makes more people listen to electronic music, and in that way they will discover axwell :)

I started listening to house music in 2005, when I heard the Love don't let me go by guetta. Then i also heard axwells - tell me why, but I had no idea that supermode was axwell at that time. From that day it's been Axwell all the way ;)
So in one way Axwell wins on Guetta & Garraud's popularity :)

In norway DJ Antoine is way overrated. I think he knows that he is really overrated here, that's why he made a song dedicated to Norway, Oslo:

The only production he has made that i like is C'est La Révolution. But Klaas delivered, and made a killer remix of Antoines "This Time".
Dj Antoine - This Time (Klaas Remix)
I Image House Music

Getdumb
True fan

Post by Getdumb » Tue May 27, 2008 9:48 pm

TOTALLY AGREE. Guetta used to be half decent when he started his F*** me i'm famous campaign. I do love the Arno Cost and Norman Doray mix of Delirious but Poplife itself was terribad.
As you said Petter, i cant stand Tiesto on CD, aside from he's a pirate, but live i loved when he broke into Adagio for Strings.

And yes, Deadmau5 i think is very overrated, and Sydney Blu is just falling on his bandwagon.

As for Garraud, i enjoy'd his mix of Who's your daddy, and his recent Too Strong, but overall yes he seems a tad overrated.

Dj Yahel.....no comment.

I remember when 'This time' came out, and the Klaas mix, i played it for some coworkers and friends and they shat bricks, it is a bangin track.

What do you think about Klaas? I love his remixes[Even if they do all sound very, very similar] but he recent production "feel the love" is very pop-y, yet i love the vocoder mix :oops:

Oakenfold

Ahhh oakenfold, or should i say Cokenfold. I remember watching a video on youtube, that was quickly deleted. It was paul at a live set, where i cant remember for the life of me. But he had a towel over his head, and was spinning various vynl's, you see his head go down to the disc, as he lays out a line of cocaine on the vinyl. He attempted to snort it off the MOVING vinyl, and of course the towel gets caught in the machine and the whole thing trainwrecks. He looks up blankly and the MC runs out and yells "R-R-R-REEEWWINNDDDD" and paul throws his arms up in the air and the crowd goes wild. /facedesk.
Rave is King.

Petter
Administrator
DJ Gear: 3x CDJ-1000
1x DJM-800
1x MacBook Pro

Post by Petter » Tue May 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Yeah, He's a pirate is wicked too, but honostly I think the sound-perspective (i that's what it's called in english) or the frequency-band sounds a little bit untidy. The sound is smudged all over the place, too many different sounds at once. But hell, the track is mighty!

This time (klaas remix) has one of my favorite take-offs. Yeah, I agree, a lot of the klaas releases are a lot alike. They all have the same deep, distorted, pitch warped bassline thingy. I like his release of Feel The Love.

Welcome to the forums C-Jay ;)
I Image House Music

bobby_sexkiller
Axwell digger

Post by bobby_sexkiller » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 am

Most underestimated DJ : Axwell, and the Most Underestimated DJ in France : Axwell, they don't know "I found U"! I pray that W.W.W will save us ! :lol:
@Inox, on Fun radio, they says "et bientôt le numéro des clubs : Laurent Wolf" translation "Soon, the number one of the Club : Laurent Wolf" :evil: , wtf the number one was axwell this night !

daherbst
Administrator
DJ Gear: all about Pioneer

Post by daherbst » Wed May 28, 2008 7:36 am

The Inox set is just amazing, but maybe you have to know something about mixing to understand what is going on...

I have to take up the cudgels for Tiesto: I can remember, when I first listend to ISOS Vol.4 - Coca & Villa "La Nocha" I got goose bumps...

In June the new ISOS will come out (Vol.7), and I'm gef gonna buy it...
Also his podcast "Tiesto's Clublife" is sometimes good - there are enough House tracks in there - and the Elektro thing takes high influence in Trance - but I agree - most of the Trance is boring... on the other side... there is also a lot of boring House Music out there...

Somtimes I wish there would be more "Axwell Mix Compilations" - like MoS Sessions... I still listen to this CD...

Unfortunately the day has only 24 hours... ;)
e=shm²
Axcellent!

paulanthony
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: Pioneer

Post by paulanthony » Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 pm

@ Daherbst: Yeah, deadmau5 released too many tracks of the same style, but i must defend him, since live he really, really impressed me...
Normally I don't like all this "Innovation" stuff, like dj doing the visuals or garraud playing on his synth with this weird alien mask, because imo it's never flawless and in garraud's case it even ruins some tracks...
But Deadmau5 really and truely impressed me... He was the first dj i heard, where all this innovation really made a positive impact on the music, rather than messing it up...
That's why I'm critical of Laidback Lukes mixing as well. The guy's got some skills no doubt, but this hiphop style mixing just doesn't fit house imo...
Hope you got my point ;)

PhilipJensen
Axwell lover

Post by PhilipJensen » Wed May 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Getdumb wrote:Ahhh oakenfold, or should i say Cokenfold. I remember watching a video on youtube, that was quickly deleted. It was paul at a live set, where i cant remember for the life of me. But he had a towel over his head, and was spinning various vynl's, you see his head go down to the disc, as he lays out a line of cocaine on the vinyl.
Haha....I dont say hes a bad person, dj or producer couse ive no idea. But that was the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

Mutu
I worship Axwell
http://www.facebook.com/mutulix

Post by Mutu » Wed May 28, 2008 5:31 pm

i guess deadmau5 produce quantity not quality..
I got nothing but luv' for you !

Getdumb
True fan

Post by Getdumb » Wed May 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Yeah it was pretty ridiculous. The ISOS cd's i was never a huge fan of, i worked at an HMV in the electronica section so i had to hear it day and freakin night. I think the only time i've enjoyed tiesto outside of live, was when i heard my first electronic song ever. It was Satisfaction by Benassi, then I heard Lethal Industry and the Parade of Athletes disk which, i admit, wasnt bad. But for some reason i just can't stand him on disc, not even ISOS, and Elements of life made me cry wheni listened to it. As for Mau5, i only find hyim overrestimated because i havnt heard him live. I almost did, i was in line for it and had a ticket but they over sold and gave us our money back at 2am while waiting outside, it was bullsh**. He does have a few decent tracks, his remix of his girlfriends Give it Up for me was allright.

I think i'm behind the times though, i'm listening to Arno Cost & John Dahlback -Golden Walls. How old is this? I just found it today =/ Unless it's brand spankin new and im up to date ^____^
Rave is King.