Most overrated DJ's?

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
axwell23
Axwell lover

Post by axwell23 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:58 am

german acts:

Tocadisco
Kalkbrenner
Disco Boys

- boring -
Nur der FCC!

Renz
Axwell lover

Post by Renz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Kalkbrenner +1

Got to see him live @ Awakenings, Amsterdam last year. Ok, it was a techno/minimal party, but his set was just plain boring compared to the rest of the evening.

daherbst
Administrator
DJ Gear: all about Pioneer

Post by daherbst » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:11 am

David "Ive no idea what's going on" Guetta
e=shm²
Axcellent!

Kosi
I worship Axwell

Post by Kosi » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:28 am

Renz wrote:Kalkbrenner +1

Got to see him live @ Awakenings, Amsterdam last year. Ok, it was a techno/minimal party, but his set was just plain boring compared to the rest of the evening.
Well kalkbrenner is really hyped in germany but his music is still amazing! Haven´t seen him live yet but all his releases are quality stuff imo...

Dschu
I worship Axwell

Post by Dschu » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Renz wrote:Kalkbrenner +1

Well in Germany hes popular, because of his movie "Berlin Calling"...

I like some of his tracks but i dont think that i would go to a gig of him, cause for me its chill-out music ;)

So he is not overrated, he is brilliant, but live not so explosive like many others ;)

Don Swede
Axwell fan

Post by Don Swede » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:00 am

These are most overrated DJ's for me. My criticism is based on their productions and not on DJing***, because most of them I haven't heard in live, so here they are:

1. Laidback Luke
That dude just keeps releasing cheap stuff, always same thing with no depth or any kind idea in it.Technically wise sounds he uses are pure undermastered trash, which isn't surprise at all because I've seen him talking how he creates a track in 4 hours, he might think about quality >> quantity from time to time.

2. Tiesto
He might** did nice trance till the album 'Elements of Life', but since then he just went down the hill. His last album 'Kaleidoscope' is a joke to trance music, I don't know if I ever heard any other album that is so overmastered and overall sh#t. I have feelling like the only thing he does for music is photoshooting that god-like-poses for cd covers and practising fake smile for gigs. SOLD OUT.

3.Armin Van Buuren
Avb did excellent music, but he started to screwing things up like Tiesto, just in smaller portion. That vocal trance or "barbie trance" is just off.

4. Steve Angello
His productions are ok, and that is it. Nothing impressive, just average stuff, not enough for the position he is at.

** it's known that Tiesto might have stolen stuff from other producers and even that his great productions like 'Adadgio for strings' were made by some other dutch producer (can't remember the name)

***I'm not sure if things like skill and DJing go together since there isn't much you can do with play/stop/pitch buttons. Deadmau5 did spare some words about that, hehe.

daherbst
Administrator
DJ Gear: all about Pioneer

Post by daherbst » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:56 pm

I must disagree - some Lbl Tracks are gerat, and his dj skills are oustanding!
e=shm²
Axcellent!

robsta
I worship Axwell
http://soundcloud.com/robbymorgz
DJ Gear: DJM800, 2xCDJ800 in Oz
Traktor Z1 + iPad Air in GER

Post by robsta » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:02 am

daherbst wrote:I must disagree - some Lbl Tracks are gerat, and his dj skills are oustanding!
yes daherbst! I think LBL also has some very good productions and his DJ skills are super amazing!! His skills on the Pioneer CDJ's are a true testament to what they are capable of! Loops / Reverse / Pitch Up & Down / Spin Backs / Stratching etc

Where deadmau5 critizes the art of DJing as being relatively straightforwards and simple, LBL is a driving force in making the art form dynamic and unique.

Does anyone know any other major house DJs who scratch?
Checkout my SoundCloud! http://soundcloud.com/robbymorgz for Tracks, Bootlegs & DJ Sets.

Mynak
Axwell fan

Post by Mynak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:30 am

robsta wrote:
daherbst wrote:I must disagree - some Lbl Tracks are gerat, and his dj skills are oustanding!
yes daherbst! I think LBL also has some very good productions and his DJ skills are super amazing!! His skills on the Pioneer CDJ's are a true testament to what they are capable of! Loops / Reverse / Pitch Up & Down / Spin Backs / Stratching etc

Where deadmau5 critizes the art of DJing as being relatively straightforwards and simple, LBL is a driving force in making the art form dynamic and unique.

Does anyone know any other major house DJs who scratch?
Don't forget LBL is out there playing almost all genres of music, House, Dubstep, DnB, and even throwing in some classic hip-hop and rock tune mashups. First time I saw him live was nothing short of life changing.

DM13
Axwell fan

Post by DM13 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:06 pm

C-Jay wrote:First of all, hello people, i'm new here.

Well, I'm from Portugal and here I can say that the most overrated Dj is the portuguese Pete Tha Zouk LOL.
So true...
Renz wrote:Came across this, epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbvYJ45W84
Funny. Check out these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQFz02aW ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWuFxuC ... re=related

As for the answer to the topic. Guetta tops it all. And Afrojack is pretty much overated to me. Same thing over and over again.