Illegal downloads: what's your opinion

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
daherbst
Administrator
DJ Gear: all about Pioneer

Post by daherbst » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:09 pm

Well offically everyone is against it - and in fact most of them still do it... I can't stand this..

@ Housgezeichnet: you're absolut right - they are far away from "poor" - and 5000.- is far too less (well Axwell deserves it)...
The Artists will have to accept that in the futue they wont get the big deal with "just" producing - but with playing. It's the same in the pop music scene.
I would be angry as well for sure - but they should consider their productions as an investion... (you might compare it to an University eg).

I think the question "for or against" is useless, the question should be - what can be done against it?
The only way is to make the music even more inexpensive - I would appreciate a Beatport flatrate for instance...
And they need a software just like iTunes - that's the future, and that's why ituns is that successful.

I personally buy Axwells Vinyls and mp3s because of one major reason: since he makes me almost everyday simle, I want him to use my money for doing something which makes him smile...
e=shm²
Axcellent!

Dirty Sanchez
I worship Axwell

Post by Dirty Sanchez » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:48 pm

I think software like iTunes, Beatport... can really help here. But then again, the music industry needs to be more serious about this. I mean, you've got guys giving away albums for free, like Prince, he gave out his latest album with a newspaper in the UK. That's just not serious.

daherbst
Administrator
DJ Gear: all about Pioneer

Post by daherbst » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:06 am

I don't see there any problem - what we need are some professional solutions which compete with each other...

:(
e=shm²
Axcellent!

anthony.n
Axwell lover
http://anthonynabet.blogspot.com

Post by anthony.n » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:08 pm

My point of view ... posted on Steve's blog:

Hey Steve!!! I totally understand what you feel being an artist ... But this phenomenon is very hard to solve ...
First, keep in mind that not a lot of people such as me, you and some others are ready to spend money for downloading a track ... Being a very interesting way to get tracks, people generally don't agree with Beatport, iTunes, … to spend money for a track without all the things you get buying a record in a store (cover, material CD, ...). Then as if they enjoy electronic music (whereas us who LOVE THIS FUCKIN MUSIC!! ;) )they prefer download a track for free from a server, blogs or other ... Furthermore, for students like me, buying tracks for $2.49 on beatport begin a bit hard after 10 purchases ($25 ...). That's why, I avow, I allow me to spend no more than $50 a month for beatport, iTunes, ... then if I can get the same track (good 320Kbps quality, full lengh) for free, I will not say "NO" ...
About the blog and your rips, the main responsible are the one who provide theses blogs saying : “songs available on this site are only samples and you should not keep them in your computer more than 24h” … You can wonder about the cleverness of such guys … But I’m not sure closing blogs would be the best solutions because as if they are in the illegality some of them have been useful to promote new artists : it’s by posting their own productions for free that people became enjoying their music, and then come to their gigs … But it’s not a generality … I think this phenomenon don’t hurt artists like you Axwell or others at all because you can mix in the most amazing and better places for a Dj in the world, you have compilations in stores, … but that’s not the case for a lot of Dj, who, I agree with you, could not live of their productions if this illegally downloading process follow … But unfortunately, over the last few years more and more people got good connections for the net and then, have pleasure downloading tracks, movies, … easily.

Enjoy!!!!

Antho.

Iammesol
Administrator

Post by Iammesol » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:34 am

After reading about this issue almost nonstop ever since I've been involved in so many forums over the years, I've come to my own mindset that I wish to share with others. Filesharing as we know it will never be (in my opinion) deemed "wrong" or "right". It will always be a value thing and those who choose to pay and to not will always do that by choice. Rather that causing a big fuss over the practically impossible to police world of the internet, why don't we do one thing that the human race has been doing since its inception?

Adapt.

I'm a producer myself, and having heard Eric Prydz himself tell me flat out that he makes music for free, and travels the world doing gigs to earn his living, I've whole heartedly accepted the fact that I will never earn a living by making music. It once was possible, yes. But that has changed, and it's time for the world to adapt now.

To me, the filesharing outbreak is honestly a good thing once you've accepted this. As someone has previously said, marketing (by word of mouth actually, which is arguably the most effective marketing strategy) is done entirely for free. People well endowed with funds used to be the only people who could make a name for themselves, but now with myspace, youtube, torrent sites, stickam, blogs and more, anyone can put themselves out to the world to be heard. Look at Deadmau5. Regardless of his flashy lifestyle and repetitive music, he has conquered the world via the internet. I remember watching him mix in his living room on stickam when everyone still thought his name was "this sick new producer called Dead moe five".

I understand filesharing has turned the world upside down, but rather than (artists) getting defensive or (pirates) hippo-criticizing daily about how it is a justified nature, why don't we all do something that we're afraid of?

Change.

Quit thinking about your own needs, and view the world as it is meant to be viewed, through every single human body's perspective. Once you understand how everyone looks a topic, you can reach a much more effective decision. The world is not going to stop filesharing because it's bad just like the world doesn't stop killing because it's bad. I dare you, especially up and coming producers and DJs, to instead of bitch about how people are sharing your tracks, to help spread your name more, get a worthy fanbase who will DESIRE to pay for your services, and ADAPT to the happenings that are taking place around you.

Dirty Sanchez
I worship Axwell

Post by Dirty Sanchez » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:45 am

I think more than 'change', the word is 'adapt'. This topics are nice to discuss, but anyway, we all know that there's really no turning back in this matter. We've all gotten used to free music and from now on, like 90% of the people will never spend any more money on music.

Angello has said he used to spend all the money he could buying music when he was kid. Thing is, when he was a kid there wasn't an Internet giving away music for free...

So I guess the key word is adapt, accept that the money won't come in that way, that Internet should be used to promote your music.

Kris Kay
Administrator
http://www.axwell.co.uk
DJ Gear: MBP - 2.6GHZ w/ 24in Monitor
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
Logic 8 w/ Novation Rem Comapct
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post by Kris Kay » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:08 pm

What about the people who cant make a living from gigging? It's still illegal at the end of the day. Until someone states otherwise it's a crime.

I think artists have had to adapt to making money from other sources to make a living. I wholly respect everyones opinion but it started with the music, it's all about the music and people who want to listen to it should have to pay for what they like to support music an the artist.

I doubt many artists make their music with the intention of it being free and having the attitude of "well it will get leaked anyhow"

@ the end of the day a track costs what £1. That is fuck all to pay to show your support and respect to the people who put the time and effort into making it. Its a costly business, there's more of a cost than making a track ie: promotion etc.

If people cant afford to pay £1 for a track and albeit its usually less than £1 then they need their heads seeing to. Seriously it sucks.

As i said before if music is free then prices for gigs etc go up and up and eventually people will stop paying to go out and it will destroy the industry.

It's all economics and with everyones economy being fucked up its not going to get any better.

KK/ :mrgreen:

Kris Kay
Administrator
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post by Kris Kay » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:04 pm

What pisses me off even more is dodgy sites run by scum like this. Thats a 1 second search on google and its on the front page. Now the would make people "beleive" they are buying music. Its all some and mirrors.

All looks legit dosent it???
http://mp3shopcart.com/Album/2274401/Ax ... und_U/mp3/

Well its a dodgy russian site. I bet Ax does not see a single cent of this.

These places really are the low of the low.

Please tell me that you agree with pirating now? If your favorite artist stopped making music cos it was not commercially advantageous you'd be pissed right? Of course you would.

KK/ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"Russian copyright laws do not cover digital media, according to news agency Tass"

Kris Kay
Administrator
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post by Kris Kay » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:24 pm

I actually cant believe there are some comments on here such as.

"Well its not as if they are poor"

What is that all about? How is it anyones business, and your speculating, how much money people make?

Some people attitudes on here suck recently. I would suggest that if people have nothing positive to say then they don't say it. Why bring the rest of us down with your negativity.

I apologise about the "rant" but to be honest these comments are un-needed

Iammesol
Administrator

Post by Iammesol » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Kris Kay wrote:What about the people who cant make a living from gigging? It's still illegal at the end of the day. Until someone states otherwise it's a crime.

I think artists have had to adapt to making money from other sources to make a living. I wholly respect everyones opinion but it started with the music, it's all about the music and people who want to listen to it should have to pay for what they like to support music an the artist.

I doubt many artists make their music with the intention of it being free and having the attitude of "well it will get leaked anyhow"

@ the end of the day a track costs what £1. That is fuck all to pay to show your support and respect to the people who put the time and effort into making it. Its a costly business, there's more of a cost than making a track ie: promotion etc.

If people cant afford to pay £1 for a track and albeit its usually less than £1 then they need their heads seeing to. Seriously it sucks.

As i said before if music is free then prices for gigs etc go up and up and eventually people will stop paying to go out and it will destroy the industry.

It's all economics and with everyones economy being fucked up its not going to get any better.

I agree with everything you say, and I've gotten to where I spend $100 everytime I purchase my beatport cart. But for people to think that the internet will one day cease to leak music is just ignorant in my opinion. The day that happens is the day we are living in a zero freedom police state.

There is no right and wrong, but only an area in which we can strive in the right direction.

Oh, and about this:
Kris Kay wrote: I doubt many artists make their music with the intention of it being free and having the attitude of "well it will get leaked anyhow"
I agree, but they're going to start having to. Bitching about it is going to help the cause none.