Does any one know what the average house song sells for?

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
oolegacyoo
Axwell fan

Post oolegacyoo22 Sep 2009, 22:33

Does any one know what the average house song sells for? Meaning how much will a lable pay an artist to own there song
Tapio K
Axwell fan
DJ Gear: 3 x CDJ 1000mkIII
DJM 800

Post Tapio K23 Sep 2009, 21:18

that's an interesting question. i hope people give insight to this. i just know that beatport requires a release (can be multiple songs) to sell at least 500 downloads per quarter year. otherwise they might drop the release. obviously, if an artist has a label of his own, he'll get way better bucks than if your signed for example defected. so what is an average house song? i think if it's not an average bomb, it doesn't pay off too much...
Byron
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: (Pioneer)2-1000mk3's 1-cdj400,DJM 800
HDJ1000

Post Byron23 Sep 2009, 21:20

Dont quit your day job :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dannymerx
Axwell lover

Post dannymerx24 Sep 2009, 06:20

good topic!
I think it depends on the song itself.

If your just an up and coming artist that is making tracks and your lucky enough to have a label that wants to release your music then I say go for it! dont expect to be paid any money for your song though unless its a guaranteed bomb(even then the label probably wont pay you anything just give a better percentage of record sales etc).

I have heard a story about the bodyrockers track 'I like the way you move.' When they first showed it to Eric Morillo he offered everything he had in his wallet to own the song but they very smartly refused.

when your original work starts becoming more popular and more in demand then there is a chance of seeing money upfront from a publishing deal with a publishing house.
sidechained
Axwell fan

Post sidechained25 Sep 2009, 14:28

It's so difficult to say really. It depends upon your profile and also how good the record is.

Unless you're a big name I wouldn't expect to see much coming back purely because of how much music is up on beatport these days.
Max Vangeli
Axwell lover

Post Max Vangeli08 Dec 2009, 06:43

For an average song that lets say charts for a bit on top 100 genre category like elector house you will get about $200-300 if the track is signed to good label. This is ofcours after paying your 50% to the label. If you are looking at a low end label with a solid track, expect to get around 100 bucks. If the track is not supported by many with an average label you will get no more than 50 dollars :)

Most record labels are very shady tho and dont do their accounting, so good producers now a days always request a buyout or an upfront payment for tunes. This buy out ranges from 500 bucks for a good producer on a good label, all the way to 5k if you are a well known name.

In this business the money is made from Gigs and remix work, not sales on original productions :(

Hope that helps
jeanp
I worship Axwell

Post jeanp20 Dec 2009, 16:48

but max, who will really pay u loads for a remix if the track will not sell properly.
i guess nobody will pay 5k if it doesnt pay out... or??

im very interested in this topic as well ..
we have had a top 10 placement in djdownloads.com recently,
but the payback form the digital distributor takes 6 month.

i guess we will payed early next year on that, i will let u know !! :D

cheerz
Max Vangeli
Axwell lover

Post Max Vangeli29 Dec 2009, 19:32

Sales are gradually generated over a long period of time, and that includes all Digital Stores. When you have a big name on the remix its more of an investment for the label in terms of publicity and future sales I would say.

Not sure what sort of money the djdownloads will bring you from your top ten, but I can't imagine much to be honest. For Dance music unless you are charted for a long period of time on places like iTunes or beatport you will se very little.
beatss
Axwell fan
DJ Gear: pioneer djm 800

Post beatss15 Jan 2010, 22:04

dannymerx wrote:good topic!
I think it depends on the song itself.

If your just an up and coming artist that is making tracks and your lucky enough to have a label that wants to release your music then I say go for it! dont expect to be paid any money for your song though unless its a guaranteed bomb(even then the label probably wont pay you anything just give a better percentage of record sales etc).

I have heard a story about the bodyrockers track 'I like the way you move.' When they first showed it to Eric Morillo he offered everything he had in his wallet to own the song but they very smartly refused.

when your original work starts becoming more popular and more in demand then there is a chance of seeing money upfront from a publishing deal with a publishing house.
interesting... they did not sell it to morillo? but exactly do you mean by sell, morillo wanted to buy the copyright? or the recording for his label? I looked up discogs and it seems this song was released by Mercury, who own the recording apparently... so unless you have your label and unless the label you are dealing with agree to license the song from you (instead of owning it) many artists have given their recordings to labels in exchange for having it released and promoted. However, they still own the copyright and if the track is succesful you will make much more on radio play and possible sync deals than digital sales.
subho
Axwell fan

Post subho18 Jan 2010, 19:02

Yeah, i am also with the same opinion.