Axwell interview - stereosonic

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
Squid
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: One day it will be pioneer

Post Squid28 Nov 2009, 09:19

Axwell Getting it out for stereosonic
http://www.inthemix.com.au/features/450 ... tereosonic

With only a matter of hours until Swede Axel Hedfors lands downunder to unpack his Technics headphones and assume the mantle of his Axwell alias for his Australian Stereosonic tour, he confirms that he is very much looking forward to playing in Australia. “I hope you remember me!” Axwell appeals to his Aussie fans. “Australians seem to enjoy their music a lot. Australia is a really nice country – I wish I lived there. It’s so warm – and the food is amazing. And the people – they are similar to Swedish people. We get along so well! I think our humour is the same. I will be staying in Sydney for about six weeks over the Australian summer – so I’ll get some proper Australian in me this time!”

DJ, producer, remixer and label owner of Axtones Records, Axwell’s reach in the dance world is momentous – a fact confirmed with his placement at #14 in the 2009 DJ Mag Top 100 Poll. From his hometown in Stockholm, Sweden, across Europe with ID&T’s Sensation tour, to the shores of America and all around the world back to the white isles of Ibiza for Pacha, Axwell has performed to the world’s top clubs, dancefloors and radio stations. While an amazing performer and artist in his own right, Axwell’s exclusive membership in the renowned Swedish based-collective of house DJ/Producers, the Swedish House Mafia certainly helps his scope too. Alongside his “Made In Sweden” Mafioso companions Sebastian Ingrosso and Steve Angello, Axwell has accumulated a bulk of dance hits and remixes on both the commercial and underground channels.

Having worked or remixed artists that range in assortment from Laidback Luke to Bob Sinclar, Faith Evans, Stonebridge, Cyndi Lauper, Nelly Furtado, Madonna and N.E.R.D, Axwell has really made dance music the jewel in his crown. With his own tunes integrated into the sets of such varied artists as Pete Tong, Ben Watt, Little Louie Vega and David Guetta, Axwell has been recognised across the house board for his musical diversity and versatility. Dipping into the assorted rhythms of house music, Axwell has also plundered the depths of compounded latin rhythms alongside chanteuse Isabel Fructuoso under the moniker of Mambana – just to really hit home his resourcefulness with the four-four beat. Revolving through the deep, latin, funk and acid genres of house, there is no disputing Axwell’s skill and fondness for rhythm.

It would appear that rhythm has always been an integral part of Axwell’s psyche. Born into the ABBA saturated culture of Sweden in the late 70s, it was at the age of 9 that Axwell found the drums. Moving onto computers and keyboards through his teens, it was not long until he was creating his own beats and sounds. Under the monikers of Quazar and OXL, he would be settling into production between 1995 and 1997. At 20, the sound of techno-drenched acid house lead the way to the release of Funkboy in 1999 on compatriot Stonebridge’s Stoney Boy label. Changing tack for a few years, Axwell would commence a quest of soul searching under different aliases to finally establish his own sense of style. It was in 2003 that the man behind Axwell would resolutely emerge, uniting soaring vocals with exuberant beats in the house matrix with the success of tunes Wait A Minute, and Feel The Vibe. Six months after moving to Stockholm, a meeting with Sebastian Ingrosso and Seb’s childhood friend Steve Angello would follow with the initiation of ‘The Swedish House Mafia’ over a cup of coffee at the local 711 on a cold night in Stockholm. It was team efforts with Steve Angello in 2006 as Supermode with Tell Me Why, a remix of Bronski Beat’s Smalltown Boy that would really catapult Axwell into the mainstream’s consciousness, though the track with vocals from lung busting Max’C with I Found U in 2007 would provide the momentum for his name to reach prominence. From herein, the Axwell bullet would prove unstoppable. Working alongside Bob Sinclar in 2008 further pushed his music across clubs, dancefloors, radio stations and CD compilations while the 2009 alliance with Laidback Luke, Sebastian Ingrosso and Steve Angelo would culminate in global smash hit Leave The World Behind.

Axwell acknowledges that collaborations inspire and develop him as an artist. “I love Dirty South’s music,” Axwell notes, acknowledging the remixing partnership he has shared with the Australian born artist for Temper Trap’s tune Sweet Disposition this year. “Dirty South is always inventing, always trying to surprise – but not be weird about it. He is always trying to be melodic – but inventive.” With the remix release of TV Rock’s tune In The Air also this year, Axwell concedes he is somewhat a fan of the Melbourne based electronic duo. “The very first person I met when I first came to Australia in 2006 was Grant [Smilie]. We hung out and he took really good care of me. I got to sign their track Been A Long Time to my label, then In The Air. I try to stay in touch with people I like and who write good music. I like to help people, and if it means helping them when they are good writers by putting them on my album – that is great.” While teaming up with artists the world over, it is Seb and Steve who really inspire and motivate Axwell in his trade. “We always talk about music, give each other pointers and listen to each other’s music before anyone else,” Axwell affirms. “We push each other forward. We vibe off each other.”

While Steve loves incorporating grand vocal melodies and thick chordal textures into his tunes, and Seb is into catchy song structures and piano stabs, for Axwell, the basis of his music from behind the decks and in the studio comes down to beats and buildups. “I like creating tension,” Axwell confirms. “It’s really hard to get that ‘what’s coming next’ feeling; that anticipation,” he outlines. “There’s nothing like building the tension and releasing it on the dancefloor. Dance music is so huge now,” he acknowledges .“I would like to see dance music grow in a more melodic and diverse kind of way. A lot of stuff has had to sound the same to work on the dancefloor. Like electro – it has had to be hard. It would be nice for music to go back to being a bit soft and melodic.”

While his time is often taken up with performances and tours around the world, it is still in the studio where Axwell loves to feel the magic. “Out of all my studio equipment, I love my computer – I really love my computer,” he repeats. “The new Logic – it is just beautiful. I look at it and think ‘you make my life so easy’. Logic inspires me to write,” he declares. “I’ve been away from my studio for so long for the European summer and I’ve only just got back to my studio. I’ve really missed it. But now I’m there again.” And what is it that he is working on before his Stereosonic tour? “I want to finish my long overdue artist album – that will be a big challenge! My artist album has been so long in the making – I want to stop asking myself if it is good enough and get it going. The pressure is inevitable, but I’ve long gotten over that. I can always do another if this one is fucked. Let’s get it out! Let’s get it out! I don’t want to be pretentious about it. I just want to get it out!”

While his artist album is in the throes of creation, it will still have to hold off from release until his Stereosonic performances have been completed. With Australian audiences expecting an incredible display of skill, energy and genuine love for music from this renowned “diverse house” DJ, Axwell promises, “I will play my new material. I’ll also play inversions of my old classical tracks. I hope you are excited to hear my new music!” Axwell asserts. “I hope you will enjoy my show!”
Last edited by Squid on 29 Nov 2009, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Byron
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: (Pioneer)2-1000mk3's 1-cdj400,DJM 800
HDJ1000

Post Byron28 Nov 2009, 15:23

Oh GOD im soooo looking forward to this album...!!
Mutu
I worship Axwell
Send private message http://www.facebook.com/mutulix

Post Mutu29 Nov 2009, 01:42

Yep, can't hardly wait !
I got nothing but luv' for you !
aussiedill
Axwell fan
DJ Gear: Don't DJ, Axwell is all I need.

Post aussiedill07 Dec 2009, 14:40

Cannot wait for this album, His music is by far the best I've heard in years. Axwell you are loved in Australia, Please come back soon, We miss you! Your set at Melbourne Stereosonic was INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You seriously should have been the headline act, not deadmau5, as good as he is.. you easily out played him with your killer tunes, Sweet Disposition & In the air went off!!!!!
Squid
I worship Axwell

Post Squid08 Dec 2009, 13:49

Axwell definitely should have been the headlining act. He should have played last not bloody deadmau5 (in Brisbane). Deadmau5 has nothing on Axwell, I just couldn't feel his energy after living through one of Ax's set.

Axwell, you should really consider doing more sideshows while you are here or better yet, come back again once you release this album of yours, you could at least do a tour of Australia to promote it
daherbst
Administrator
DJ Gear: all about Pioneer

Post daherbst08 Dec 2009, 14:10

You're always talking about a guy called "deadmau"... who the f**** is daudmau? :lol:
e=shm²
Axcellent!
Byron
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: (Pioneer)2-1000mk3's 1-cdj400,DJM 800
HDJ1000

Post Byron08 Dec 2009, 23:32

No i believe he's is called Dead Mau Five or somthing...... :lol: :lol:
And he,she likes to play dress up or somthing,i dont know..some kind of cross dresser i think....... :lol: :lol:

Ha no just kidding,no offence Mouce head
Squid
I worship Axwell

Post Squid09 Dec 2009, 09:04

hahaha yeah who the f*** is deadmau5
I used to read his name as dead mau five :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikey
Axwell fan
DJ Gear: CDJ 200's + DJM 400 + Sennheiser HD 25's + ESI 05 Experience Monitors

Post mikey13 Dec 2009, 10:56

I know you are here in Australia for a couple of months. Please do some in store appearance like deadmau5 or whoever. As I am underage and speaking for the underage population, WE WANT TO SEE SOME AXWELL ACTION. There is never anything for us underage people even though we worship you. Do something please!

Anyone else agree. Although most of you guys aren't underage you once were and probably are in the same position as me dieing to see your favourite club artists.