Sad Day

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
Kris Kay
Administrator
Send private message http://www.axwell.co.uk
DJ Gear: MBP - 2.6GHZ w/ 24in Monitor
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
Logic 8 w/ Novation Rem Comapct
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post Kris Kay27 Jul 2008, 18:44

Well, my hard drive has packed up. It started to have a little smoke at one point bless it. Must have been stressed over years of abuse.

Anyhow.. Lost 250GB of stuff. Luckily i had 160GB backed up. Alas its no excuse for loosing all my fucking tunes i had stored on there.

So if anyone know how to fix hard drives then get in touch i will be extremely grateful if anyone can help.

I really dont want to pay £700 which the grabbing bastards @ PC World are asking but i may have to as some of the stuff is invaluable to me.

Basically it wont power on, look like the circuit board attached to the hard drive has a transistor (or somethin like that) blown and has burnt out. I have replaced this and it still wont work so im stuck with sweet FA.

Its a Lacie Porche - Seagate drive

KK/ :x :o :shock: :? :evil: :oops: :cry:
Séb
Axwell lover

Post Séb27 Jul 2008, 19:03

Kris Kay wrote:Well, my hard drive has packed up. It started to have a little smoke at one point bless it. Must have been stressed over years of abuse.

Anyhow.. Lost 250GB of stuff. Luckily i had 160GB backed up. Alas its no excuse for loosing all my fucking tunes i had stored on there.

So if anyone know how to fix hard drives then get in touch i will be extremely grateful if anyone can help.

I really dont want to pay £700 which the grabbing bastards @ PC World are asking but i may have to as some of the stuff is invaluable to me.

Basically it wont power on, look like the circuit board attached to the hard drive has a transistor (or somethin like that) blown and has burnt out. I have replaced this and it still wont work so im stuck with sweet FA.

Erf... Sorry for you hard drive :s

You have replaced the complete "electronical" part of the hard drive ? or just the "transistor" ?

Edit: I saw hundred of client who lose all of her stuff on their hard drive at my work...
Kris Kay
Administrator
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post Kris Kay27 Jul 2008, 19:09

I have repleaced the big green thing (is that the technical term) on the hard drive and still no luck???

KK/ :?:
Séb
Axwell lover

Post Séb27 Jul 2008, 19:15

Kris Kay wrote:I have repleaced the big green thing (is that the technical term) on the hard drive and still no luck???

KK/ :?:
Normaly, you have to replace the big green thing by EXACTLY the same thing (so, a green thing of another piece of your hard drive model...).

If it doesn't work after this, I'm afraid that the only solution is to open and remove the "shelf". And for this, you need a company specialize in this like ondata.

The shelf turn on when you power on the HD ?

PS: My english is not good, and with lot of technical terms :s sorry
Mutu
I worship Axwell
Send private message http://www.facebook.com/mutulix

Post Mutu27 Jul 2008, 19:21

sux man, sorry
I got nothing but luv' for you !
Kris Kay
Administrator
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post Kris Kay27 Jul 2008, 19:28

Thats 2 hard drives ive lost now in little than a year. The other one was all backed up luckily.

Yeah i think im going to have to call soome company re this one and get totaly shafted by thier high prices. Seems the only way to go. I really dont want to mess with it myself as i really dont know what i would be doing and would probably damage it further.

Thanks for the help though. I may have to invest in to some raid storage in the future.

KK/ :|
VeniceBeatz
Axwell lover

Post VeniceBeatz27 Jul 2008, 20:20

Sometimes it works by putting the thing in a bag and then putting it in the freezer. It's based on physics that some metal parts in the HD could contract, putting back in place defective parts, and making everything work again for a few minutes. But it doesnt always work
Petter
Administrator
DJ Gear: 3x CDJ-1000
1x DJM-800
1x MacBook Pro

Post Petter27 Jul 2008, 21:42

VeniceBeatz wrote:Sometimes it works by putting the thing in a bag and then putting it in the freezer. It's based on physics that some metal parts in the HD could contract, putting back in place defective parts, and making everything work again for a few minutes. But it doesnt always work
Wow, that sounds old school!
I can't image what I would do if my 500GB external harddrive get's broken. All those songs... All those movies and irreplaceable designs... I think I should make a backup of my backup drive :P
I Image House Music
Séb
Axwell lover

Post Séb28 Jul 2008, 06:42

Kris Kay wrote:Well, my hard drive has packed up. It started to have a little smoke at one point bless it. Must have been stressed over years of abuse.

And please Kris... Don't buy Lacie anymore !! :(

It's the best s*** I ever seen...
VeniceBeatz
Axwell lover

Post VeniceBeatz28 Jul 2008, 07:41

My never failed a harddrive before in the 5 years off life, guess I'm lucky that I have a loyal harddisk that keeps on going ;)