Steve Angello / SIZE Thread

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
WildYouth
True fan
since 2014
Posts: 149

WildYouth Send private message Post 05 May 2015, 15:57

Bottom post of the previous page:

vysweet wrote:

Edit: So the reunion with the manager of Garrix,Bieber,etc. was for the documentary?
Did you read the article or not? Scooter is gonna help with PR and that stuff for Wild Youth. I can also guess that him and Steve have used his connections for some of the collabs.
djlouinglese
Axwell digger
since 2012
Posts: 76
DJ Gear: cdj 1000s

djlouinglese Send private message Post 05 May 2015, 16:46

the whole playing it safe thing is because of the main stage..i never attend these festivals because i know it is watered down compared to what they really want to play.. steves set at Wall that night was alot different lots of good progressive stuff and a ton of tech and techno
User avatar
camheine
I worship Axwell
since 2012
Posts: 1280
From: Melbourne, Australia

camheine Send private message Post 06 May 2015, 12:13

Can I just say that I love what Steve is talking about righgt now, I find it fascinating and inspiring, and I think that Steve is taking the right steps into a direction of pushing house music forward (with the exception of the album having already come about 5 months too late and it having lost all momentum),

that's the only problem with all of this, and the problem with most dance artists these days, is they talk all this talk before they are ready to present anything, so the momentum has then climaxed and then lost before they've even dropped anything. I kinda get tired of it to be honest, Steve's album should be out by now, Where I belong should be out by now, Sun is shining should be out by now, Sweet Escape and scars should be out by now.

To me all of these projects have all lost their momentum, I'm already way too familiar with where i belong for not having even heard an hq preview yet. I don't have excitement for any of these projects that much anymore, and I haven't paid a single cent for any of them yet, Steve has gained absolutely nothing from me having jammed to Let Me Go for the last half-year, my interest has already peaked and wained. So now when they do drop the track I'm already over it and have moved on to something else, dance music is the only music industry that does it like this, it's annoying, if you play a track at ultra, then bloody release it.

My reaction to a song coming out shouldn't be "finally", it should be "yes I'm so excited to have this", can you imagine if Louis Vuitton went into fashion week and said "hey everyone, we have this new line coming out, it's a work in progress, here is a low quality image of it, we're likely going to change a lot of it so don't grow too familiar with it! Now, you should be able to have this in your hands in around 6-9 months time!
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."
User avatar
Vinelli
I worship Axwell
since 2009
Posts: 3318
From: Rotterdam City Of Love, The Netherlands

Vinelli Send private message https://soundcloud.com/axwell-forum-radio Post 06 May 2015, 12:59

To be honest Cam, it's no the artist fault that everything arrives on youtube and soundcloud these days. It's not like they want that to happen (in fact, a lot of artist refrain from playing IDs at livestreamed events because of this very reason. They don't play tracks to hype or to promote usually, but rather to test it with the crowd. I personally don't listen to rips or ID's more than once to try to keep things fresh, and I can tell you it's working!
User avatar
cotu
I worship Axwell
since 2014
Posts: 795
From: Greece

cotu Send private message http://canyousayinsert.ax yannmiro Post 06 May 2015, 16:25

Curiosity killed the cat, Cam. It's hard to resist the temptation of hearing a new track, regardless if it's unfinished or not, you just feel too eager to have a listen of what is coming in the future. You could say that this temptation definitely intensifies when you hear a track that you've never heard of in a livestreamed event and you go straight to 1001tracklists searching for the title only to realise that's an ID, then you just go on listening to it over and over again.

3 months, 6 months, a year or even more passes by and the artist(s) involved have yet to released that track, and you just keep doing the same thing and keep on getting hyped, until one day, when the track is finally released, you just get bored of it after say, 2 weeks, and throw it in the recycle bin.

It's definitely not easy task geting over that with all that information coming from everywhere these days...
Why don't people do the things they say they're gonna do, before it's too late
No point in sitting and wondering 'cause it's your right to choose your own thing
User avatar
vysweet
I worship Axwell
since 2014
Posts: 1340
From: Argentina

vysweet Send private message Post 06 May 2015, 17:02

camheine wrote:Can I just say that I love what Steve is talking about righgt now, I find it fascinating and inspiring, and I think that Steve is taking the right steps into a direction of pushing house music forward (with the exception of the album having already come about 5 months too late and it having lost all momentum),

that's the only problem with all of this, and the problem with most dance artists these days, is they talk all this talk before they are ready to present anything, so the momentum has then climaxed and then lost before they've even dropped anything. I kinda get tired of it to be honest, Steve's album should be out by now, Where I belong should be out by now, Sun is shining should be out by now, Sweet Escape and scars should be out by now.

To me all of these projects have all lost their momentum, I'm already way too familiar with where i belong for not having even heard an hq preview yet. I don't have excitement for any of these projects that much anymore, and I haven't paid a single cent for any of them yet, Steve has gained absolutely nothing from me having jammed to Let Me Go for the last half-year, my interest has already peaked and wained. So now when they do drop the track I'm already over it and have moved on to something else, dance music is the only music industry that does it like this, it's annoying, if you play a track at ultra, then bloody release it.

My reaction to a song coming out shouldn't be "finally", it should be "yes I'm so excited to have this", can you imagine if Louis Vuitton went into fashion week and said "hey everyone, we have this new line coming out, it's a work in progress, here is a low quality image of it, we're likely going to change a lot of it so don't grow too familiar with it! Now, you should be able to have this in your hands in around 6-9 months time!
cotu wrote:Curiosity killed the cat, Cam. It's hard to resist the temptation of hearing a new track, regardless if it's unfinished or not, you just feel too eager to have a listen of what is coming in the future. You could say that this temptation definitely intensifies when you hear a track that you've never heard of in a livestreamed event and you go straight to 1001tracklists searching for the title only to realise that's an ID, then you just go on listening to it over and over again.

3 months, 6 months, a year or even more passes by and the artist(s) involved have yet to released that track, and you just keep doing the same thing and keep on getting hyped, until one day, when the track is finally released, you just get bored of it after say, 2 weeks, and throw it in the recycle bin.

It's definitely not easy task geting over that with all that information coming from everywhere these days...
I mean this is what happend to me, listening the rips, when the track sold out it's meh for me cuz i lost the feelings...
User avatar
camheine
I worship Axwell
since 2012
Posts: 1280
From: Melbourne, Australia

camheine Send private message Post 06 May 2015, 23:09

Vinelli wrote:To be honest Cam, it's no the artist fault that everything arrives on youtube and soundcloud these days. It's not like they want that to happen (in fact, a lot of artist refrain from playing IDs at livestreamed events because of this very reason. They don't play tracks to hype or to promote usually, but rather to test it with the crowd. I personally don't listen to rips or ID's more than once to try to keep things fresh, and I can tell you it's working!
I know what you mean, and testing out on crowds can be a good thing, but if it comes at the cost of the overall enjoyment of the release then i think it does more harm than good. Look at galantis, they play PBJ at ultra then drop it two weeks later, and I'm still loving it, even Alesso with If it wasn't for you, dropped it like 3 weeks/ a month after he premiered it.

It's not the artist fault that it takes a year for track to get released, but i mean, have any of you ever heard an unfinished ID live, then heard it when it's been released a year later and said "wow i'm glad I waited a year for this, those small changes have made it worth it", i know artists like perfection, and I'm the same, but I still think IMO, playing a track out live if you have no plan on releasing within the next month/2 months is counterproductive, especially with steve playing 4 tracks on his album on a high quality Ultra stream like a year ago, then still not having released them.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."
enrico
I worship Axwell
since 2012
Posts: 1741

enrico Send private message Post 09 May 2015, 12:24

Fully agree with Cam, but also with Vinelli.
In a way, it is our/my fault that I am listening to rips of IDs when they are played. But I am convinced they are played intentionally, besides to see how the crowd reacts the bigger and more interesting metric is the buzz it generates on the net. At this point, I think every producer is well aware of that "internet effect" and definitely wants it. Usually. I mean, that is what the internet is used for nowadays, right? (I do not mean that negatively, just... that is the way it is.)

Hell, there are even soundcloud accounts dedicated to just upload and identify these types of content (Pryda IDs, and isn't Futura Music an account of one of us? :D ).

About Galantis, I find their strategy very very good. It is something great for the fans. You just know that in 2 weeks you can buy the thing and bam, that was it. Awesome!

Why SA delays and delays his album or Axtone won't release "Where I Belong" (or whatever exactly it is called now, I do not remember sorry)... who knows.
Didn't Payback also take roughly a year to be released? And in the case of Axtone, they shelved Paul Paris' track and denied a release for the original mix of "Tokyo by Night". And didn't Arty tweak some track for the hundreth time for Axtone? Sometimes it is not that pleasant for the producers I think because labels have the last word. Who knows what else is going on.


Side question: is it just me or does anyone else feel a bit crazy and weird for caring so much about a single track at times? I remember last fall I listened to "Where I Belong" so often and got so mad it wasn't released for WMC.
User avatar
NotAxwell
NotModerator
since 2014
Posts: 389

NotAxwell Send private message Post 09 May 2015, 13:12

enrico wrote:Fully agree with Cam, but also with Vinelli.
Sometimes it is not that pleasant for the producers I think because labels have the last word. Who knows what else is going on.


Side question: is it just me or does anyone else feel a bit crazy and weird for caring so much about a single track at times? I remember last fall I listened to "Where I Belong" so often and got so mad it wasn't released for WMC.
What bothers me more is that certain labels/artists know exactly that a lot of fans really want a track for years and they simply dont care about it. I know its up to the artist to release a track but to me it just gives them an ungrateful stand. I know this is Steve's Thread but best example is Tai. I know lots of people come up with "Ax maybe wants to wait for his solo career after Ax^Ing" but thats completely bullshit for me. I mean lets be realistic its a great track nontheless but nothing that will catapult Axwell even higher after Ax^Ing. Neither did Tokyo by Night nor Feel the pressure and so on. So just give it out as a free download, make the fans happy and get some good PR. They dont make THAT much money from music anyways anymore.
User avatar
cotu
I worship Axwell
since 2014
Posts: 795
From: Greece

cotu Send private message http://canyousayinsert.ax yannmiro Post 09 May 2015, 14:26

enrico wrote:Fully agree with Cam, but also with Vinelli.
In a way, it is our/my fault that I am listening to rips of IDs when they are played. But I am convinced they are played intentionally, besides to see how the crowd reacts the bigger and more interesting metric is the buzz it generates on the net. At this point, I think every producer is well aware of that "internet effect" and definitely wants it. Usually. I mean, that is what the internet is used for nowadays, right? (I do not mean that negatively, just... that is the way it is.)

Hell, there are even soundcloud accounts dedicated to just upload and identify these types of content (Pryda IDs, and isn't Futura Music an account of one of us? :D ).

About Galantis, I find their strategy very very good. It is something great for the fans. You just know that in 2 weeks you can buy the thing and bam, that was it. Awesome!

Why SA delays and delays his album or Axtone won't release "Where I Belong" (or whatever exactly it is called now, I do not remember sorry)... who knows.
Didn't Payback also take roughly a year to be released? And in the case of Axtone, they shelved Paul Paris' track and denied a release for the original mix of "Tokyo by Night". And didn't Arty tweak some track for the hundreth time for Axtone? Sometimes it is not that pleasant for the producers I think because labels have the last word. Who knows what else is going on.


Side question: is it just me or does anyone else feel a bit crazy and weird for caring so much about a single track at times? I remember last fall I listened to "Where I Belong" so often and got so mad it wasn't released for WMC.
Not only that, but labels and lesser known artists as well are known to create more hype, like notaxwell said. I think everyone was tempted to listen tracks on youtube named like "Super popular edm producer 1 & Super popular edm producer 2 - ID", even though they weren't ripped from everywhere, they were original mixes, even though poorly mixed and mastered at times.

Also look at spinnin'. They're posting videos of id's on their social media and sending "secret" promos to djs so they can play them on their sets and radioshows. They invest quite a lot on getting the crowd hyped before even the artists involved are revealed.


5 years ago, id's were either from some footage recorded by some guy in a set, or on a radio show. Now they're everywhere.
Why don't people do the things they say they're gonna do, before it's too late
No point in sitting and wondering 'cause it's your right to choose your own thing
User avatar
camheine
I worship Axwell
since 2012
Posts: 1280
From: Melbourne, Australia

camheine Send private message Post 10 May 2015, 04:31

NotAxwell wrote: They dont make THAT much money from music anyways anymore.
Boom! You've just nailed it. They make such little money from their actual songs compared to their sets, all of the money made on a song can be outdone with one dj gig, there's more of a draw to go to your shows if you think you might here your fav unreleased ID, i know when I saw SHM, in the back of my head I was thinking to myself "man it would be so cool if Ax just played COTU" (hadn't been released at that point).

A track with online buzz is as good as a beatport number 1 in terms of hype and expanding your career, unless you get a radio megahit, you probably aren't concerning yourself with the actual money being made on tracks, more how much attention it gets, how it furthers your career, and how much money you can then start charging for your shows.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."