Alesso Thread

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
toblip
Axwell digger
since 2010

toblip Send private message http://toblip.com Post 23 Aug 2014, 10:48

Bottom post of the previous page:

Pop music!
And even "Tear The Roof Up" was not that good. Sorry but for me this is just a specific management direction. Nothing too different but still trying to be not too cheesy haha
http://toblip.com
electronic music at its very best.
Watsa
I worship Axwell
since 2011
DJ Gear: Sennheiser HD-25

Watsa Send private message Post 23 Aug 2014, 11:17

trebleandsonido wrote:
camheine wrote:
DCBull wrote:This hardly feels like an album with high artistic value. Alesso does what he usually does: making radio-friendly music without stepping out of his comfort zone.
While this may be satisfying for most people, I think it's extremely boring. Don't get me wrong, he's a great producer and is capable of making of something better.
Agreed, really boring! Do something different Alessandro.
He just released 'Tear The Roof Up', which is like the complete opposite of this? Sorry to say, but I'm totally disagreeing with you guys here. He's got his more underground style and his melodic stuff, which hasn't even changed since his Dynamite EP on Refune in March 2011! He's just doing his thing, so I really don't get why you guys take him down for that? Isn't it logical that he's coming out with stuff like this?

Same can be said for like 99% of artists out there with a certain 'identity', no?
Agree 100%
camheine
I worship Axwell
since 2012

camheine Send private message Post 23 Aug 2014, 13:21

trebleandsonido wrote:
camheine wrote:
DCBull wrote:This hardly feels like an album with high artistic value. Alesso does what he usually does: making radio-friendly music without stepping out of his comfort zone.
While this may be satisfying for most people, I think it's extremely boring. Don't get me wrong, he's a great producer and is capable of making of something better.
Agreed, really boring! Do something different Alessandro.
He just released 'Tear The Roof Up', which is like the complete opposite of this? Sorry to say, but I'm totally disagreeing with you guys here. He's got his more underground style and his melodic stuff, which hasn't even changed since his Dynamite EP on Refune in March 2011! He's just doing his thing, so I really don't get why you guys take him down for that? Isn't it logical that he's coming out with stuff like this?

Same can be said for like 99% of artists out there with a certain 'identity', no?
Well me personally, I was more just talking about Sweet Escape, Scars For Life & Heroes. To me those three songs bring nothing new to the table and all follow the exact same ideas. Heck sweet escape is a blatant ripoff of Alesso's previous "every chance we get we run". My point is that I like to see artists keep moving foward, and it looks like alesso has completely stopped moving forward. He's just rehashing old ideas. Axwell had an identity, but he would keep moving forward and every release would bring on something really fresh and exciting. I can tell you the structure of all three of alesso's songs right now:

First up is a melody by itself, usually using the same notes as every alesso song, i.e., a melody built around the note E.
then cheesy vocal singing about nothing comes in.
strumming guitar bass comes in, playing 1/8th notes.
then soft kick drum comes in with an open hi hat on the kick drum coming in around then.
Melody from chorus starts to gently fade in, as singer starts belting out longer notes singing about nothing.
Starts to build to chorus, using similar snare drums, risers etc, high melody becomes louder,
Then big chorus with typical Alesso synths that he's used for the most part since city of dreams.
Repeat.

With a few changes here and there this is pretty much the basis of the three songs, and also for a few of his other previous songs. Same formula, even same synths from time to time, also melodies all in roughly the same key. I used to love Alesso, and I know he's immensely talented, but he can do better than this. His album so far (with the exception of tear the roof up) sounds like easily digestible fairy floss.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."
trebleandsonido
I worship Axwell
since 2010

trebleandsonido Send private message http://soundcloud.com/trebleandsonido trebleandsonido Post 23 Aug 2014, 15:14

camheine wrote:
trebleandsonido wrote:

Well me personally, I was more just talking about Sweet Escape, Scars For Life & Heroes. To me those three songs bring nothing new to the table and all follow the exact same ideas. Heck sweet escape is a blatant ripoff of Alesso's previous "every chance we get we run". My point is that I like to see artists keep moving foward, and it looks like alesso has completely stopped moving forward. He's just rehashing old ideas. Axwell had an identity, but he would keep moving forward and every release would bring on something really fresh and exciting. I can tell you the structure of all three of alesso's songs right now:

First up is a melody by itself, usually using the same notes as every alesso song, i.e., a melody built around the note E.
then cheesy vocal singing about nothing comes in.
strumming guitar bass comes in, playing 1/8th notes.
then soft kick drum comes in with an open hi hat on the kick drum coming in around then.
Melody from chorus starts to gently fade in, as singer starts belting out longer notes singing about nothing.
Starts to build to chorus, using similar snare drums, risers etc, high melody becomes louder,
Then big chorus with typical Alesso synths that he's used for the most part since city of dreams.
Repeat.

With a few changes here and there this is pretty much the basis of the three songs, and also for a few of his other previous songs. Same formula, even same synths from time to time, also melodies all in roughly the same key. I used to love Alesso, and I know he's immensely talented, but he can do better than this. His album so far (with the exception of tear the roof up) sounds like easily digestible fairy floss.
So basically it comes down to this: being an unknown musician -> develop a signature sound -> get a track under your belt which gets your career up to speed -> continue to do YOUR thing, which got you there in the first place -> be forced to change your identity from the artist you've become because you're milking your own fabricated formula for success?

I get what you're trying to say Cam, but you can't, or maybe you just don't WANT to, change your identity as the artist you're known for, just for the plain reason: YOU're doing what YOU like doing the most and not what everybody else wants you to do because you've attained a certain level of success within a certain formula. Yes, some artist do change and explore new horizons, but only when you've come of age and you genuinely want to do NEW things as the artist you've grown into over the years.

And yes, things as arrangements, sound design, keys,... are things that kinda stay the same no matter what... Writing a track in G or F Minor simply because those are 2 of the main keys for electronic music which sound great in the low end of the root notes because of the physical frequency (45-50 Hz) area isn't something you'd judge someone over. Yes, song structures may vary, but the basic formula remains the same: intro (dj friendly 95% of the time) - break - pre-chorus - build - chorus - verse - break - build - chorus - outro (dj friendly) - It's just the way it is, and yes you can vary to extremes, but the idea remains the same, all the time. Singers, singing about nothing? I bet you every single vocalist puts his heart and soul into the stuff he/she writes and sings! So what it's corny? Most of the stuff that truly matters sounds utterly corny when you start thinking about it. It's gotta fit in a song, ppl need to understand what you're singing about, ppl need to feel connected to the words you say, ppl need to get the phrases locked in their head for the get-go, that's just how it is, all clichés aside.

And yes, perhaps Sweet Escape is a reworked version of 'Every Chance' with David, a track that completely got lost in the vast world that EDM is today. It had loads more potential so why let it go to waste in a sense? It's your stuff to start with; so you decide what you wanna do, not somebody else. There are more than enough, big, artists who do blatantly copy some of their older stuff without even caring one single bit. And I, personally, don't think Alesso is one of those artists.

But, yes, I do get the point you're trying to make, but I feel you're cutting corners a bit too drastically at some points.

Anyway, differences aside, we've already talked too much about this :) !
Last edited by trebleandsonido on 23 Aug 2014, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
If it sounds good, it is good.
camheine
I worship Axwell
since 2012

camheine Send private message Post 23 Aug 2014, 15:32

All great points! This is why i love having discussions on this forum! :D
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."
House5
I worship Axwell
since 2012
DJ Gear: Denon DN-MC6000
VirtualDJ Pro

House5 Send private message Post 24 Aug 2014, 16:29

That was a huge piece of text you forced me to read Treble :( Heroes is nothing special anyway, I mean it's a good track but I won't remember it as much as I remember If I Lose Myself remix...

Tear The Roof Up is huge though, but I just want Alesso to release his Nillionaire Rework...
"You showed us, and the world, that Paris is much more than the Eiffel Tower and Mona Lisa..."
Axwell, Bercy @ Paris, Saturday, December the 8th 2012.

Luigi vs. House5...
evo21
Axwell digger
since 2012

evo21 Send private message Post 24 Aug 2014, 16:46

I kinda like the vocals, but the instrumental is boring, especially the drop :?
enrico
I worship Axwell
since 2012

enrico Send private message Post 25 Aug 2014, 05:50

Staying "true" to your style and to your fans means shit nowadays. I wish I had Alesso's "talent" (I am implying that it wasn't really that original kind of talent that made him successful, there are many parties involved in becoming big), his management team and ... connections. Lots of people work to get that one guy, scratch that, "artist" successful.

There are three songs which I like Alesso for:
I lose myself
Nillionaire and the other electro banger

To me, he is now kind of like some other certain artists nowdays who rather appeal to the masses. Lots of bigroom. On the other hand, think about what kind of output Steve has under his belt.

"Tear The Roof Up" is a joke in my opinion. I think it is most likely to garner attention because of his name. Any other artists would have published this, just a blip on the radar. The track only works a bit because of the bass-y buildup.
lelosper
Axwell lover
since 2014

lelosper Send private message Post 27 Aug 2014, 09:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCwYWIY1rWA

Do we have any info on this? it's huge!
hkarasoy
Axwell lover
since 2014

hkarasoy Send private message Post 27 Aug 2014, 11:40

lelosper wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCwYWIY1rWA

It's said to be his next release. Probably out in September/October.
VeljkoDujakovic
I worship Axwell
since 2014

VeljkoDujakovic Send private message Post 27 Aug 2014, 21:04

hkarasoy wrote:
lelosper wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCwYWIY1rWA

It's said to be his next release. Probably out in September/October.
axtone or refune?