Recording sets to laptop

Software, Hardware, Techniques & Your Work - approved only
jb73
Axwell lover
DJ Gear: Pioneer CDJ100S x 2
Pioneer DJM-300-S

Post jb7311 Oct 2008, 13:16

Hello

Since my old CD recorder died I've been recording my sets direct from my decks to my iPod using a little iTalk mic (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Technol ... d_sim_ce_1) and a standard audio jack. It's not really designed to have this pumped through so as a result the levels are all over the place.

So, I'm thinking I'd be better off recording direct to my laptop (Sony Vaio). However, last time I tried that I had similar issues with crackly recordings. I'm guessing I need a better sound card or audio driver or something but I'm not sure what.

Can anyone offer any advice as to the simplest way to record my sets in reasonable quality without spending a lot on expensive equipment?

Any help or thoughts much appreciated.

jb
Housegezeichnet
Axwell digger

Post Housegezeichnet11 Oct 2008, 13:33

1. in case you are using a djm mixer: red output levels sounds like shit

2. record with enough headroom to avoid clipping, you can easily normalize and/or compress the recording later in an audio editor
jb73
Axwell lover
Pioneer DJM-300-S

Post jb7311 Oct 2008, 14:19

Thanks for replying.

I did notice last time I tried that I had to keep the volume down but it ended up being so prohibitively low I could barely hear what I was doing!

Will normalizing get rid of the static-y hiss sound that seems to be there? And would it make any difference what I use to record it? I've got Audacity but would I be better off using SoundForge, for example?
jeanp
I worship Axwell

Post jeanp13 Oct 2008, 09:20

hi jb ..
i can barely see what gear u are really using to record your stuff ..
sometimes u have to set up your buffersize proper, to get a good sounding recording without cut's or clicks. i dont know if the vaio is fast enough or the memory sufficient, but i guess it's ok for recording.

what i want to say is, i think your soundcard is ok.not good but ok.
very often build in soundcards do have cheap components which lower your headroom and/or produce noise/hiss at lower levels. i guess -78/-60 db or such. but if u compress or normalise your audio after recording u will also normalise your noise.what means that it will increase in volume.

what a better soundcard does is it lowers the noise and u will have properbly a better recording resolution and a higher bitresolution, and more options to set up your card. but its not nessecery to buy a better soundcard only for recording your sets.

the malfunction might be one of the settings of your card or in your host programm, or as housegezeichnet told u already, a too hot output of your desk. try to avoid the red led's on your desk and it might sound fine.

//
jb73
Axwell lover
Pioneer DJM-300-S

Post jb7313 Oct 2008, 14:24

Thanks jeanp, that's all useful stuff. I'll give it another go and see if I can find a decent level to record at.

jb
jb73
Axwell lover
Pioneer DJM-300-S

Post jb7315 Oct 2008, 12:35

Guys, just to let you know that your hints and tips paid off. Low level recording, bit of noise removal and amplification in the edit and it's all good.

So thanks very much!

:D

jb
jeanp
I worship Axwell

Post jeanp30 Oct 2008, 12:46

cool!!! ;)