New Sound For 09?

General discussion concerning music, artists & labels.
Kris Kay
Administrator
Send private message http://www.axwell.co.uk
DJ Gear: MBP - 2.6GHZ w/ 24in Monitor
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
Logic 8 w/ Novation Rem Comapct
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post Kris Kay24 Jan 2009, 20:50

Hey Loveley Axwell People.

So I assume its fair to say most people are looking for a change. I've heard it too many times now that people are bored with electro and minimal/tech house.

So where do you guys see 2009 taking the declining dance music scene?

Personally, when Hed Kandi was bought by ministry there were alot of changes. What Hed Kandi brought the table was a certain QUALITY of music. It did not really matter who you were, if you had a GREAT track you were on a Hed Kandi album, they really took the vream of the crop and their array of albums really catered for every taste. In turn that sexy sound brought many GIRLS into the clubs which in turn brought the guys. The whole scene was immense during these times. People aspired to be DJ's and the girls wanted to be exactly like the ones on the front of the Kandi albums.

I have alot of respect for Mark and the extremely hard work he put in.
Then, Trouble and Ministry of sound bout out and sold out. Now i've nothing against ministry but one quote will always sick in my mind by a DJ who went to their offices and was told that they are only interested in a handful of tunes which drive a full compilation album to sell. Now... you cant have a go at them their a business but what they once stood for is now, no longer. Look at the taste of winter? most of them are BAD remixes of tunes from the PRIME days. Flogging a dead horse or what, you can NEVER beat an original classic, why bother for a few $$

What we have now is any average joe with a computer making the most god awful sounds which go nowhere. They build up and go... well back down again... we want that big build up to the chorus and then a massive explosion of sound. You know the stuff that makes you glow warm inside and happy. Not this music now which drives drugs and angry people. No thanks. (hey thats what its like in the UK anyhow)

Anyhow enough rambling on... Electro no no.

My thoughts are that we are going to see a return to roots... i'm throwing it out there 2009 were going to see the return of the JACK and also a new take on ... FRENCH HOUSE.. where did that go? Gimme a new Cassius track any day!!

So what do you guys think.. and where do you think AX is going to take his sound??? Remember Black Pony, Starbeach, Mambana, Get Over Hear... yes please, ill take a big portion of them any day of the week. Hey I love everything Ax has done, bar one tune (im not telling) lol

And.... discuss lol Happy 2009 peeps (all in the best spirit)

KK/ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

EDIT ( and baseline FRO - thanks Leeds) :lol: :lol:
ANDREA
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: Nothing :'(

Post ANDREA24 Jan 2009, 22:57

I remember when I was a child! There was so many dance tunes that I loved! for example Starlight by supermen lovers, one more time daft punk, shined on me praise cats ecc. HOUSE TUNES!!! that had also a big commercial success! Now the sounds are changed and house is taken as an another different world, BAD BAD THING! Minimal, electro, have changed house music! Fred Falke is the only one that produce true house music.
I'm afraid that also Ax starts to produce tech! But listening his new production I can be quiet... :)
and the SHM essential mix 27-12-08, I liked it very much amzing tunes but a bit Tech for me... Listening their set from 22-3-08 it is another different thing! :roll:
I AM A BOY!!!

I've Got Nothing But Love For You!
Byron
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: (Pioneer)2-1000mk3's 1-cdj400,DJM 800
HDJ1000

Post Byron25 Jan 2009, 00:08

+1000 That's so true Andrea ;)

Hope Ax can release some more housey tracks this year like his remix of 'Coracao' and 'Counting Down the Days'.
Dirty Sanchez
I worship Axwell

Post Dirty Sanchez25 Jan 2009, 02:04

Very interesting discussion, everyone :)

Is Jack alive in 2009? I think he is... but damn, he is not showing up a lot lately :lol: Everyone is going tech, or electro, or minimal... and the House music lovers sure have to be sad about it. Guys like Morillo or Roger still represent what it's all about, but the scene is moving away from their direction. Just check the Beatport Top 100 and you will barely find any House track.

The 2009 sound is going to be heavily torn between electro (which I don't like) and tech-house (which I do like), but I feel sorry for those who miss that Hed Kandi sound because it's not coming back, not anytime soon.

I myself have gone darker with my taste, I now list guys like Dubfire or Style of Eye among my favourite DJs... so I'm not exactly complaining, but I do understand that those who remain huge fans of that pure, Hed Kandi-like House, have to be disappointed. I myself wish there was more of this. It was indeed classy, sexy, soulful music.

BUT for those here who would like to taste what I think could be the new House music flavour, I've got an idea: get a hold of the Pure Pacha double album that came out months ago, the one mixed by Sarah Main and two South African DJs and musicians called Goldfish Live. Give those guys a chance (Goldfish Live, not good ol' Sarah :lol: but she's cool) and I'm sure you will be surprised. That CD is the closest thing to a live gig you'll get from them, as their artist albums are more laidback... so get a hold of this mix album, listen to their sound (a mix of pure House and their past in Jazz music) and you'll see Jack is alive... but hidden in South Africa!

great post once again :) very interesting discussion
Mxtone
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: waiting for the day to come and have 2xpioneer cdj-1000mk3 and a djm 800 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Mxtone25 Jan 2009, 02:38

Dirty Sanchez wrote:Very interesting discussion, everyone :)
so get a hold of this mix album, listen to their sound (a mix of pure House and their past in Jazz music) and you'll see Jack is alive... but hidden in South Africa!
damn right dirty ,saw those guys last summer but in fact didnt know nothing about em before that time,but they making the warm up set before sander's gig at pacha sharm, and the only thing i can say that they are turley amazing they just seem to blend thier mix togher in unbelievable way taking you back to old good times ! i was stuned at first by how good they are ,in fact i hooked up with them had some chat and joined them with my mates for the rest party with sander ,such a cool guys they are :D
and regarding the topic ,well kris cant deny anything from whar ur saying but hopefully there will be something this year ,mainly plus waiting something from Ax ,am expecting something good from our french guys<Arno , Arias ,Tristan garner,Norman doray> dont know but some of thier latest production remind me of old the french touch music which used to to be in late 90's where i used to love it ,
Or maybe the whole scene will be overfloded electro and minimal/tech house /or maybe ppl will back to the TRUE THING called HOUSE
its not the producers mistake in my opinion its what the crowd wants
that determines whats going on as for example daherbst ealry said that his club crowd wont give a listen to open you heart or wont enjoy thier time by listening to it!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:
at least lets hope for the best
happy new housey year :D
I Got Nothing But Love For You
Kris Kay
Administrator
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post Kris Kay25 Jan 2009, 16:51

Dirty Sanchez wrote:Style of Eye, Goldfish Live.
Never even heard of them, thats out of touch I am, I've actually stopped going to clubs and opted for bars instead. I really really want to get back out there...

I can only speak for myself here, but my city has lost all it once had with the clubbing scene. There are still some great nights out there like Back2basics which has been going on over 15 years but everything else has gone seriously down hill. Maybe i'm getting old i don't know. The clubs don't seem to book the good DJ's out there and it's more of a thing where the worship local DJ's.. in turn you have to put up with that DJ's taste and the good majority of them play electro and baseline. You can't even call it house. If I want to go out up north I usually ofetn have to travel to different cities such as liverpool, manchester or newcastle hell even london on occasions.

There is a huge community such as http://www.traxsource.com who keep it alive and radio stations such as http://www.ssradio.com but I never hear this out in clubs or see club nights with the people who produce this stuff playing.

I think more and more people are going to takeaway the bass and concentrate on the fundamentals which make up a tune once again. Hey it's ALONG time since i've heard a BRIDGE in a tune... i think thats terrible, a lovely key change on a bridge to take you into the chorus.. you cant beat it at all.

People have just plain disappeared now what about the huge commercial live artists such as:

Daft Punk
Basement Jaxx
Chemical Brothers
Gorillaz
Groove Armada
Faithless
Tim Deluxe
Prodigy
Fatboy Slim
X-press 2
Layo & Bushwacka

I dont want be judgemental at all but most of the software out there is real easy to use and get your head around nowadays, where has all the excellently produced music gone?

Listening to more of the housey stuff which is out now.. It's just basically remixes of old housey tracks... with piano... come on now people can do better than this.

The best Album i've heard recently is The Sunburst Band - Moving With The Shakers... every remix of these tracks on traxsource is immense. The Sunburst ban are Joey Negro, with members of Jamiroquai and Incognito... i mean its bound to be good, excellently produced proper house.

Festvals such as Southport Weekend are now getting massive (it sold out in 6 weeks) I really do see a massive change coming through.

KK/ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
peter017
I worship Axwell

Post peter01725 Jan 2009, 23:10

people... i think i got DJ who s playing old soulful jazzy sounds of house... some people really love him... i belong to them even if im playing different house style... but his mixes filling me with happiness as he wrote "I spin deep, soulful, and underground house music. I also call it “Happy music”, because it makes people feel really good. " ... he has looot of mixes maybe u can check him out and he s too very good guy here s his youtube channel.... http://www.youtube.com/user/laurentkm3

heres myspace link http://www.myspace.com/laurentdj
daherbst
Administrator
DJ Gear: all about Pioneer

Post daherbst26 Jan 2009, 00:11

Well.... even if Jack doesn't return - at least Kris is here again! :D

(BTW, @ Mr.Kay: Studio Apartment - Given me Joy (Lovebirds Suite Mix) - I'm quite sure you'll like it)

Yes Elektro is boring, but on the other side it made House more popular...

I said quite a few times I really would like a new Mambana track, and of course there are so many people out there who feel the same - but Axwell def said there won't be such a thing...

Well - I'll follow him musically anyway - but I do hope there will be.... well - let's say it this way: not too much tech/minimal stuff....

Sometimes when I listen to the old Angello productions (his Tribal tracks) I think to myself what happend...

Anyway - always remember - what ABBA was for Pop, Axwell is for House...
e=shm²
Axcellent!
Kris Kay
Administrator
Motu Traveller
Ableton Live
KRK VXT6
Loads..... Plugins

Post Kris Kay26 Jan 2009, 13:52

daherbst wrote:Well.... even if Jack doesn't return - at least Kris is
Yaaaaaaa am back !!!!

Have always been here just never posted anything up. :shock:

Studio Apartment, Yeah, got all their stuff can't get enough of it. My collections was going the way of electro and minimal and then about 1 year ago I just had enough of the same old. My heart lies with the soulful sound to be honest mixed with a bit of Jack, French and well.. you get my drift.

Not wanting to find the latest and greatest tunes of the moment has enabled me to really take a step back and delve into finding new kinds of sounds... I have discovered many artists I really do enjoy who i have never heard before, I think they are reletivley unknown.. well here in the UK they are anyhow such people as.

Shazam
The Aston Shuffle
Database
The Phantoms Revenge
Surkin
Kish Mauve
Lovelock
Cut Copy
Jupiter - quite known but really good stuff recently

Yeah a new Mambana track would be the bomb. Honestly, people would but it definitely, i put my house on it. Mambana ruled the summers when the tracks were out. I appreciate though if we don't get one right now.. but hey maybe on the album , something similar??

I have a couple of mixes over in the mulitmedia board on here and on my Facebook: Kris Kay which are 2 very different styles.

KK/ :mrgreen:

[Edit] Oh yea where did Junior Jack & Kid Creme go - We should strat a new thread !
Byron
I worship Axwell
DJ Gear: (Pioneer)2-1000mk3's 1-cdj400,DJM 800
HDJ1000

Post Byron26 Jan 2009, 18:58

Kid Creme is still about, I dont know if he re-releasesed a remix of ShakeDown or if it's new but it's beatport now,It's Good.....